Why do I like Chinese New Year so much? Other than half my family being Chinese - it's really because usually by now my regular New Year clean slate enjoyment has skedaddled and I get another crack at it. So here I am again with another New Year and an opportunity to appreciate a fresh, new start... again. And good food... a lot of really good food which is my favorite holiday tradition. This holiday has a lot of fun traditions that I can completely keep up with - unlike our standard New Year full of resolutions nobody will keep - we have traditions like:
- Get a hair cut. You get it shortly before New Years, easy.
- Don't Bathe. This is really only for the day - so that you don't wash off any good luck.
- Paint your house. I like this one a lot - it gives me the motivation to paint a room or two at least each year.
- Giving red envelopes full of cash - this seriously makes kids really happy. Unlike the standard December 31st New Years tradition of 'the adults have champagne while I go to bed early'.
- Wear something new. I have to shop for something to wear? Awesome. This? I can handle!
So cheers to you all - I hope this is a special year for all of you.